Gene Kim is by far one of the most recognizable names in the DevOps industry. He is vocal, present, opinionated (in a good way), a thought leader and the co-author of the best book in this space: The Phoenix Project! Earlier this week Gene came to Virginia to speak at the DC Continuous Delivery and Continuous Delivery meetup (this meetup, I am sure, has the longest name on meetup.com). I had presented at this meet up earlier in the year too. So, I got to rub shoulders with the man himself AND got an autographed copy of his book. I actually already owned the book and took it with me to get it signed, but Gene was giving away copies!
Why everyone needs DevOps now?
The talk Gene delivered was titled – Why Everyone Needs DevOps Now? An excellent talk on the need for DevOps, based on the study Gene participated in with PuppetLabs on the State of DevOps, Gene’s personal experiences and of course, the Phoenix Project Book.
His slides are available here on Slideshare.net. The meetup organizers also recorded the session. The video is embedded here:
Why does everyone need DevOps?
Act I. Create ‘Flow’:
- Environment Creation
- Code Deployment
- Test setup and run
- Overly tight Architecture
- Product Management
Act II: Get feedback:
Act III: Continual Experimentation:
- Understanding DevOps – Part 1: Defining DevOps
- Understanding DevOps – Part 2: Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery
- Understanding DevOps – Part 3: The Battle of Dev vs Ops
- Understanding DevOps – Part 4: Continuous Testing and Continuous Monitoring
- Understanding DevOps – Part 5: Infrastructure as Code
- Adopting DevOps – Part I: Begin with the Why
- Adopting DevOps – Part II: The Need for Organizational Change
- Adopting DevOps – Part III: Aligning Dev and Ops Teams
- DevOps 101 – Concepts and Basics (Slides from IBM Innovate 2013)
- Continuous Integration for System z (Slides from IBM Innovate 2013)
- DevOps for Mobile (Slides from IBM Innovate 2013)
- What is Water-SCRUM-Fall?
- Leveraging DevOps in a water-SCRUM-fall world
- Best Practices of Mobile DevOps
- Video and Slides from my Mobile DevOps session at MoDevEast 2012
- Monetate’s 12-step program for Continuous Delivery
- There is no such thing as ‘DevOps for Mobile Apps’!
- The State of DevOps (by PuppetLabs)
- DevOps for Mobile Apps – Slides from IBM Pulse 2013
- Chef for DevOps – An Introduction