Puppet Labs just published the 2013 State of DevOps Report. They surveyed over 4,000 IT practitioners to get this report and I think it is an excellent snapshot in time of the current state of DevOps. I encourage all DevOps peeps (to use a technical term) to review this report. That being said, it is a sample (a good one), and the ‘state’ of DevOps varies considerably from industry to industry and by geography and technology.
Some key findings (reproduced here without editing from PuppetLabs’ site):
- DevOps adoption is accelerating. Sixty-three percent of respondents have implemented DevOps practices, compared to 50 percent in 2011—a 26 percent increase in DevOps adoption rate.
- DevOps offers increased agility and reliability. Respondents from organizations that had implemented DevOps reported benefits in staggering numbers: More frequent software releases and improved software deployment quality were both reported by 63 percent. Beyond directly reporting benefits, these respondents were five times more likely to be part of a high-performing organization.
- High-performing organizations enabled by DevOps deploy code 30 times more frequently than their peers. These organizations are deploying several times a day instead of once a month, and completing those deployments 8,000 times faster.
- High-performing organizations enabled by DevOps have 50 percent fewer failures. Respondents from these organizations reported double the change success rate of their peers, and reported restoring service 12 times faster.
- Demand for DevOps skills continues to grow. Job listings for “DevOps” are up by 75 percent, and those hiring for DevOps positions are primarily looking for coding/scripting abilities and people skills.
I found this infographic they created to be an excellent overview of the report, which can be downloaded here. What are your thoughts on this report? Leave a comment to share.
2013 State of Devops Infographic | Puppet Labs2013 State of Devops Infographic
Embed 2013 State of Devops Infographic on Your Site: Copy and Paste the Code Below
2013 State of Devops Infographic – An infographic by the team at 2013 State of Devops Infographic.
- Understanding DevOps – Part 1: Defining DevOps
- Understanding DevOps – Part 2: Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery
- Understanding DevOps – Part 3: The Battle of Dev vs Ops
- Understanding DevOps – Part 4: Continuous Testing and Continuous Monitoring
- Understanding DevOps – Part 5: Infrastructure as Code
- Adopting DevOps – Part 1: Begin with the Why
- Adopting DevOps – Part II: The Need for Organizational Change
Other DevOps Posts:
- What is Water-SCRUM-Fall?
- Leveraging DevOps in a water-SCRUM-fall world
- Monetate’s 12-step program for Continuous Delivery
- The State of DevOps (by PuppetLabs)
- DevOps for Mobile Apps – Slides from IBM Pulse 2013
- Chef for DevOps – An Introduction
20 Comments Add yours
Reblogged this on the BPM freak !! and commented:
The State of DevOps (by PuppetLabs)